Home-Canning Game Meat

Preserving and storing your food supply by home-canning methods.
Watchman
Foreman

Home-Canning Game Meat

Post by Watchman »

Our grandson came to us last night and was worried about what to do with last-year's game meat in their freezer. He just got his tags for deer, antelope, and elk. They are well-stocked with antelope and venison and he was worried that it would go to waste if he is able to bag some game this year. Wife and daughter (his mom) are going to thaw the meat out, cut in in chunks, braise it, and then do it up good in a pressure canner. We just finished some ground beef that we had which was almost 10 years old.

I believe home-canning is the absolute best way of preserving food, with drying coming up a close second.

With home-canned foods the secret is ------------ caution when you are canning it and -------------- caution when you open it to use.
bobpick

Post by bobpick »

I need to do some more canning. I prefer the drying of veggies et al but canning meat will probably keep the quality.

I have plenty of space to store the jars. I want to improve the way it is stored by making extending shelves, ie, pull it out from the crawlspace, like a drawer.

Next project I guess.
Watchman
Foreman

Post by Watchman »

Just make sure the storage area is dark and cool.
bobpick

Post by bobpick »

Very very dark, and heavily insulated.

Do you recommend canning raw or cooked meat?

How do you can ground beef?

I've got to can a pork roast cuz nothing says lovin like a hot pork sandwich!
Watchman
Foreman

Post by Watchman »

If you're certain that your pressure canner is calibrated, then there is no reason not to can raw pack. We do this with chicken and we have done it with sausage such as kielbasa. We used the last of the sausage which was 8 years old. I like hot pack so you can add some broth; we always braise or partially fry meat such as stew meat. One year our local Safeway had a sale on turkey - .27 cents a pound - and we bought 4 turkeys and canned the meat. Of course you have to pre-cook it so you can take it off the bones easily. This season we also plan to try canning trout and walleye.