Crappie time in tennessee

Securing a meat supply via the woods, fields, and waterways. Retention - permanent.
cowboy38229

Crappie time in tennessee

Post by cowboy38229 »

I desided to try a little fishing over the Easter weekend on Kentucky Lake around the Big Sandy river area.I ended up fishing Fri., Sat., and Sun.
All totaled I caught 70 crappie that averaged 1 1/2 to 2 1/4 lbs. each. 8 white bass 1 1/2 lbs. each . 4 large mouth bass 3 1/2 , 4 1/4,5 1/4 and 6 lbs. Thats a lot of fillets in the freezer,5 gallons worth.

This was probably the best weekend catch of my life and didn't get a single pict. I'm going back this weekend and I've got the camera all charged up and ready .

Because of the flooding on the Mississippi River the Tennessee River is holding about 4 feet high and is causing a lot of fish to come up into the smaller rivers to spawn. In an eddy in the river about 30 feet wide I saw 10 different species of fish caught.

I concentrated my efforts on crappie . For several years we've had a limit on crappie of 30 fish and 10 inch min. Of the 70 I caught I released about 10, the rest were 10 to 14 inches.

The best method I've found is to use a 10 to 12 ft. graphite or fiberglass rod, or a bamboo cane pole even works, with 4 to 5 feet of lite line and a 1/8 oz. jig head with a rubber skirt ,red with chartreuse seems
to be the color their hitting right now . Just jig it around a bush or rock about 3 to 3 1/2 ft. deep in slow motion gets the best results for me . No boat just fishing the banks.
cowboy38229

not a crappie

Post by cowboy38229 »

04-05-09 big eye buffalo 23 lb.