An Array of Transports

dejure

An Array of Transports

Post by dejure »

I've got an array of transports, from an 81 Twinkie Mobile (Gruman van with 14' cargo space), to 98 Astro.

When I run into trouble with anything on the new rigs (e.g., 96 and later), I, immediately, jump to my NAPA code reader. Later cars can become boat anchors without it. It cost me around $140.00, but it's already saved me three major repair bills. I had to replace four oxy sensors and they would have cost around $160.00 each, plus labor to locate the problem and replace them. I bought universals and wired them for my rig, costing me only around $120.00 total. Then the throttle sensor went out, twice. Both times it told me where to look first and it was dead on. My dead van was, again, immediately running after replacement. It even tells me which plug is misfiring.

My 81 Gruman is more fool proof. It's what many of us grew up with - points, ballast wires, etc. It's 300 six popper with a four speed (I don't quite have to have someone get out and push it up hills when packing a couple tons, but that's only because it has a granny). The only major change was to synthetic oils and good filters. In a pinch, this is a camper and, if it dies, I've got a fortune in aluminum. It has no real electronics to fry and it can be roll started. I might consider going to capacitive discharge ignition, since it drops the breaker point amperage from around seven amps down to around two hundred milliamps, making the points last until their nylon lobes wear off. Too, if the system goes belly up, or you have to attach a dwell tack, you can reach up and pull the plug, turn it one hundred eighty degrees and plug it back into itself to bypass the cap discharge unit. I have three thousand into the Gruman and most of that was purchase ($2,400.00) and the rest in tires and rims (I need to go to dualies, since this thing will house two tons easily). In a get-out-of-Dodge scenario, it needs highway miles, so one might want to consider a follower rig.

Regardless of what I run down the road in, I need to consider what to carry in it. For example:

- Car needs, like a GOOD set of jumper cables, not some twenty or thirty dollar set (make your own, if need be and buy the good clamps, go look at what truckers use, they aren't toys, but many that look good are actually toys), oil, water (may also be necessary to cool a brake fire), antifreeze, fuses, wire, tire tools (jack, wrench, etc.), chains, gas, bulbs.

- A REAL first aid kit (Include meds here, or in your BOB). Anticipate heart attacks, wounds and bleeding, so you may want to think outside the box (e.g., cayenne in powder and tincture, plantain, etc.)
- Extra clothing, rain (for rain and snow, I love nylon ponchos, they are so versatile) and cold weather gear (e.g., long johns and other layers).

- Emergency heat (candles, matches (cover in nail polish, so the wax wont soak in), blankets, reflective material).

- Light (LED (shake or hand pump)

- Tools (pliers, wire cutters, channel locks, socket and wrench set, screwdrivers, hammer, . . . .)

- Fire related (extinguisher (and the water for brake fires and such, previously noted) and magnesium starter)
308gun

Re: An Array of Transports

Post by 308gun »

You also may want to add a good hand Ax, a hand come-a-long, and GI E-tool (shovel),good K-bar (knife)are all :) good to get out of mud/sand/snow and are basic survival tools. sounds like you are ready. good trucking 308gun