rabbit raising tips

About rabbits as a meat and fertilizer resource.
cowboy38229

rabbit raising tips

Post by cowboy38229 »

I saw in preps that BEE PIPES was having some problems with his breeders. In my experience it's best to have your bucks seperate from your doe's, say 15 or 20 feet, so they don't smell each other all the time.I'd build an outside hutch for the bucks.

I don't know the condition of your doe's but a fat rabbit is pretty but they don't bred as well. I think the ratio is 1 oz. of food per pound of rabbit per day to maintain unbred doe's ,I've also heard that adding 1 teaspoon of cider vinegar to one gallon of water and watering your unbred doe's with this will prime them up for breding. To check to see if a doe is ready to bred examine her vulva,if its pink she's probably ready ,if it's lite pink or white she most likely won't bred .

Rabbits are rodents and their teeth are continually growing just like a beavers ,which chew down tree's,get a 4x4 block of seasoned wood and put in each cage so they can gnaw on it and it's not soft enough for them to ingest much of it.This works to prevent long teeth but if their teeth dont line up it's time to cull. I'd stay away from pine or cedar wood chips for bedding.Mine always wanted to eat it,packs their stomach.

This is kind of a herbal remedy someone told me about ,rabbits love it .I give it to them any time they act out of the ordinary.It's called plantian and i've never seen a yard where some of it didn't grow,good stuff for man or rabbit.
http://altnature.com/gallery/plantain.htm

Hope this helps.