Wholesale, or Bulk Supplies

Food production and storage.
dejure

Wholesale, or Bulk Supplies

Post by dejure »

This thread could have been posted in several places. For example, bulk herbs might be discussed under sections related to health. Another example was the following post in that section under the "peroxide" post placed by Fern.

"On the farm, we used H2O2 as a spray for the orchard. As such, we bought it in the fifty-five gallon drum. Instead of being about twenty a pint, it's about eight dollars a gallon that way. Of course, fifty-five gallons of skin burning H2O2 is a lot of skin burning H2O2. As such, one might do well to make contact with other locals interested in such to divide the purchase, allowing all to save a bundle."

On the subject of peroxide, those interested in Oxyclean type products (oxygenating bleaches) can buy sodium percarbonate from chemical supply houses. Oxyclean is just sodium percarbonate. Mixed with water, it produces hydrogen peroxide and soda ash, a mild cleanser. Needless to say, a bag of this chemical can be significantly less expensive than the Oxyclean products.

I've bought bulk broken cell chlorella, considered a super food, by the pound (around twenty a pound). It doesn't come in a pretty package, nor is it compressed to convenient tablets, but it is a fraction of the price of products found in health food stores. As well, I've bought cilantro, turmeric and other herbs for about half what I find them for down town.

For the rich among us, one can by quantities of COQ10, resveratrol and other items purported, or shown to be highly beneficial to maintaining or reacquire health. As with the suggestion in the H2O2 post, it might be beneficial to pull together a group of people, a cooperative, if you will, to make larger purchases for division between several like minded individuals.

The companies I've dealt with have been speedy in their delivery of purchased herbs and things.

MMS ("Miricle Mineral Supplement) is touted a great addition to the health arsenal. After a light review, it does seem a good thing to have around, if only for its bacterial fighting ability. Chlorine Dioxide and Sodium Chlorite can be bought in bulk from chemical supply houses.

Xanthium gum is spendy, when bought through a health food store. Industry uses it by the car load because it keeps things in suspension. For example, a vinaigrette will often settle out immediately after shaking and before you can begin pouring. A minute pinch delays this process. You can even experiment with the gum to turn rubbing alcohol into a gel, for use as a fire starter.

Zeolite. Where to begin with this remarkable product of nature. Nasa uses it for hydroponic growing (they pre-charge it with food for plants). It was used for the Chernobyl incident, for clean up. It removes heavy metals of all types. In a health food store, a little bottle may cost you about fifty dollars. Or you can by it by the ton. It is commonly found in feed stores, since it grabs ammonia and will not let it go, until baked.

Diatomaceous earth is a great way to fight back at some bugs. You can buy a little bag for only twenty dollars, or you can stop in at an auto parts store and buy a bag of "floor cleaner" for ten bucks. We are fortunate to live close to a mine, which we can literally see from the house, which gives us as many bags as we want (they are broken and cracked).

Acetic acid. The uses for this seem as endless as for Zeolite (e.,g., as a supplement, for stopping oxidation when dehydrating). A little time searching on the net reveals it can be bought by the pound and shipping can be the most expensive part of the per pound cost.