Alternative methods for travel

WillyPete

Alternative methods for travel

Post by WillyPete »

Just curious about what folks will be using to get around after the fall and wondering if anyone has alternative methods if the primary methods are unusable.

For example, I have a FORD Bronco that will be our primary transportation means. Good, strong engine and drive train, high carrying capacity, 4 wheel drive, strong towing capability and excellent all around usefulness.
Sadly, it does contain a large amount of electronic components that might possibly be affected if an EMP occurs. If that scenario happens, I have shank's mares and ... a moderate sized lawn tractor with a utility cart. And, a fair quantity of fuel and oil for the lawn tractor. 8)

Now, does everyone else have an alternate transport method for if your primary means is taken out of the equation or, will you be just hoofing it along wherever you are going wearing out your booties? :wink:
308gun

Re: Alternative methods for travel

Post by 308gun »

Three other ways to travel around are strong rubber boat with oars, or good mule or horse , I have pictures that my dad was using horse and wagon in 1918 to take produce to the towns market....... were cars but the horse was good for thousands of years... also a good mountain bike (not motor) can get you around fast too...save shoe later too..
WillyPete

Post by WillyPete »

Didn't consider boats but they are also a good means of getting from here to there I have my 15 ft. double ender canoe, my 12 ft. rowboat with a motor and trailer, oars are somewhere in the garage and what's called a "sneak boat". I couldn't find any links to anything like it so I'l attempt to describe it. It's basically a wide, shallow bathtub, maybe 72" long and 60" wide at about 12" deep. It can be powered by oars, a trolling motor or a very small outboard engine, 3-5 hp or you risk capsizing.
Getting them to the water is another task. The trailer for my 12 footer will haul any of them but, moving it around won't be too easy without some sort of motorized conveyance. I have a ball hitch on my lawn tractor so I can get it somewhere until I have no more fuel. I can carry the canoe but that's a load by itself. I may just take bicycle pieces and build a boat transport I can pull by myself to save what little gas I have for a serious need. Most of my boating in the PAW will likely be with my canoe.
Now, as to critters, my next door neighbor has a horse and a mule. I imagine they will be left behind when the neighbors run amok when the "big one" happens so, I'll have some large critters to take care of and utilize. There's also cattle and other horses at various locations all around so maybe I can find animals somewhere to haul my loads and travel where we want to go. Of course, I do have a dog and there will be many of them wandering around afterwards so I could enlist the aid of my dog to carry loads or gather several of them and attach them to a sled or something for travel and hauling.
If I get into a real bind I'll attempt to gather cats or something. Maybe I can get them to pull a small sled or something. :roll: :lol:
Toepopper
Patriot ⭐ Construction, Shelter

Post by Toepopper »

I have been thinking about this topic ever since it was first posted last February. I don't own any dirt bikes, boats, quads, Harley's, bicycles or riding lawnmowers to assist me in bugging out if and when it becomes necessary. I doubt if gasoline will be readily avaliable and I am not prepared to risk getting shot to procure it . The most practical form of mobility will be some push or pull type of cart that must be equipped with pneumatic tires to allow the vehicle to carry a heavy load over rough terrain. A supermarket grocery basket WILL NOT WORK on rough terrain and will shake apart after only a few miles of non paved surface, due to the fact that it is made with solid rubber tires. I have mounted a heavy duty mud/snow tread type tire (to help prevent punctures) on a 5- 1/2 cubic foot construction type wheelbarrow which will easily carry 500 pounds of weight. Pushing 150 pounds is easy for an old timer like me, on flat or semi sloped ground. If we are forced to book I don't think my wife can last more than a day so she can ride in this wheelbarrow as long as I can push her. I am going to make some extended wooden handles to get more leverage and make it easier to push. So as your fleeing on foot after the gas is gone and you see some old man pushing his wife in a wheelbarrow, go ahead and chuckle. :mrgreen:
side_job

Post by side_job »

A bit pricey for my tastes, but a cool concept.

http://www.cyclecar.com/rcar/cyclecar.shtml
fern
Patriot
Patriot

Post by fern »

My licenseless doc has a folding mountain bike that he takes wherever he travels. He highly recommends this one brand to me and I have been looking at them. Not too expensive and he has light weight yet sturdy, collapsible (roll up type) saddlebags that he tosses on his and really packs his stuff into them. He has purchased one for each of his family members and grandkids.
“Laws are made for the weak more than the strong.” Ben Franklin
WillyPete

Post by WillyPete »

Hey toepopper, perhaps a better idea for you, a four wheel garden cart. Here's one i found at my favorite toy store. Well, one of them anyways. :oops: http://www.lowes.com/pd_214397-52314-TC ... $y=10$x=33

I also have a two wheel cart that I use with my lawn tractor. I can manufacture a front assembly to use for steering and support so that I can use this if I need to hit the road with my family since fuel for the tractor may not be available. We can carry what we can in the cart, in the wheelbarrow I have outfitted with a never-flat tire, maybe the neighbor's horse and mule as pack animals if they run off without them and whatever I can get put on my dog's back if she'll carry it without balking as well as what we can tote on our backs in the many packs I have at the ready.
I don't really plan on dragging my family off to somewhere else unless we absolutely have to so, likely we will just stay put unless we really are run out of town on a rail, or something.
I've put a lot of thought into transport since my plan for afterwards involves traveling for several reasons, food procurement, trading and bartering, surveying of sorts and keeping after my many family members as well as the friends I look out for. I do not have a set plan but I do keep it in mind and adjust when any of the variables changes. Like I find a different method or a better method of transport, you get the idea.
Toepopper

Post by Toepopper »

Those units all look pretty slick, although the garden carts may be more practical and could take more abuse. It would be easy to rig an aft push bar for a second person to lean on and help motivate the cart . Hope I never have to bug out, thats one of the main reasons we moved way up here but you never know what will happen or what circumstances may arise. Its always good to have a fallback plan to utilize whats on hand when the bad thing happens.