Having a thought about PAW transport

WillyPete

Having a thought about PAW transport

Post by WillyPete »

I know that everyone has pretty much made their selection of a means of transport for times after the fall. My thought is, are you also stocking materials to maintain and repair your transport?
I keep some extra parts and components for my main ride that will be serving as my main PAW ride and the majority of tools and equipment necessary for that maintenance and repair.
I could, if required, do a complete engine rebuild in my driveway or, on the road if that ever comes to pass, many sorts of bodywork or potential modification as long as I have the materials, which I have some and more tha enough to completely rewire the beast if I absolutely have to along with the bulbs and some other doodads that may be needed.
How are all y'all gettign setup for continued use of transport, vehicular or animal if that is the case, until such time as fuel is no longer available?
My next door neighbor has both a horse and a burro that, if the neighbor bugs and leaves the animals, I will take them into my care and use until the time when the owners reclaim them. If that happens.
fern
Patriot
Patriot

Re: Having a thought about PAW transport

Post by fern »

I can't believe I am saying this but my better half and I are discussing selling our harleys and buying a couple dirt bikes and one of those mule things. I cannot imagine not being able to jump on and ride but it truly doesn't make sense for the future. My better half also wants one of those polaris things with the dump bed. My goal was to get horses...if I ever get a place that is. We have good old pedal mountain bikes too.
“Laws are made for the weak more than the strong.” Ben Franklin
WillyPete

Post by WillyPete »

Now there's an idea, hadn't thought about using a dirt bike instead of my 4x4. Better fuel mileage, easier to maintain and can get into places that thing will never make even with 4 wheel drive. Of course, I can only carry what will fit on my back, or a sidecar if i can hitch one up. Good idea! 8)
fern
Patriot
Patriot

Post by fern »

Just noisy. But fast and furious!
WillyPete

Post by WillyPete »

I had a dirt bike many many years ago that I don't have now. I broke my hip once with a wreck on it and sold it to cover my medical expenses. My best friend is a certified Harley mechanic so I have thought about getting a Harley for cruisin' around but, dirt bikes are simple enough that I can work on them, I've done plenty of small engine service and repair so they're no trouble.
May have to start another empty jar for loose change to save for a dirt bike now. :lol:
SS5R

Post by SS5R »

I haven’t really done anything for back-up transportation. All of our vehicles are 4 wheel drive two being computer type electronics which make them more difficult to work on when there is an electrical problem. The other is a 1973 Chevy 4-wheel drive pick-up that is pretty much just engine and transmission easy to work on that’s why I have kept it.
If there ever is an EMP it will still run. I have worked on cars since I was a kid so bending a wrench to fix them isn't a problem if the parts are available.
I’ve been trying to sell a Harley for a year and the only offer I got was to trade for a 1979 Cadillac Hurst. HaHa. If we could sell the Harley we would like to get a Campa USA Expedition off road trailer but you still need a good vehicle to tow it with.

Have you ever checked out the Rokon Trailbreaker?
WillyPete

Post by WillyPete »

Just got through looking at it and that thing is some kind of spiffy! :D
If I can swing it I'd like to get one with a trailer and a maintenance kit or three. It's some scratch for it but hey, seems like a worthy investment.
I'll start the spare change jar and see what happens.
One thing i do like about it, it's light enough I can throw it over my shoulder and carry it if i need to. :shock:
fern
Patriot
Patriot

Post by fern »

I did not even know they were back on the market! Haven't seen one since I was a kid. I always played and rode dirt bikes with my cousins and their neighbor buddy had one of these. We would leave him int he dust but he certainly could climb and do things we couldn't. Now I would probably like one and have forwarded the link to my better half but back then...it was all about speed.
WillyPete

Post by WillyPete »

I definitely understand the speed thing. It seems to be a testosterone thing though. I'm more about getting where I'm going now, testosterone is like Elvis, it has left the building! 8)