Why You Need Goats on Your Homestead

Discussion of goat and sheep issues. Retention - permanent.
Watchman
Foreman

Why You Need Goats on Your Homestead

Post by Watchman »

Goats were one of the first animals domesticated by humans, if not the very first. For 10,000 years they've been by our side, feeding us, clothing us, and fertilizing the soil. It’s no wonder people around the world still rely on goats for their primary sustenance.

My journey with goats started when I was a teenager and learned about the sources of the meat and milk products I was eating. I was disgusted and depressed to learn how factory farms operated-and that I was contributing to it by shopping at the grocery store. My desire to eat food treated with respect started me on the path I'm on today. I went from being a vegan to what some might call a modern-day hunter-gather, to a simple goat herder.

Goats have taught me what it means to be connected to the food I eat and what it means to be a steward of the land. Raising goats offers a healthy, local, and sustainable food source. They also contribute to land regeneration and are highly sociable and trainable-making for a herd of energetic and amusing companions. ➡️ READ FULL ARTICLE HERE

“Two is one, one is none”