Walking Onions For A Prepper's Homestead

mimi620325
Hibernating
Hibernating

Walking Onions For A Prepper's Homestead

Post by mimi620325 »

I was first introduced to walking onions by a good friend over a decade ago. I’m not sure why I didn’t immediately grasp the potential and importance of such a wonderful vegetable. Maybe they were just too novel. Maybe because I’d never heard of them.

Anyway, the garden at the new house included a patch of these walking onions, also known as Egyptian onions, topset onions, winter onions, tree onions, and multiplier onions. The growing season had already passed, and we were busy moving in. We also needed a secure place to keep Lydia’s sheep while proper accommodations were being built for them. So they went into the fenced garden area with the walking onions. The sheep didn’t eat them, but they sure trampled them to death. I wasn’t too worried; I figured at least a few would come back and I could transplant them where I wanted.

They came back with a vengeance. So that was the first positive for learning how to grow and use them. They are hardy little buggers that reproduce prolifically. And if they multiply too much, or you need them in a different location, they are easy to transplant.

The second advantage walking onions offer is that they are fresh and available throughout spring, summer, and fall. (Those living in warmer climates can enjoy them year-round.) No more having to buy onions at the grocery store, especially with rising costs and other issues. I’m not the only one who has noticed recently that store-bought onions start spoiling pretty quickly.

As one of the first vegetables to emerge in the spring, walking onions shoot their green stalks to the sky, even through the snow. At this point, the leaves may be snipped off and used as chives or scallions. READ FULL ARTICLE HERE
perennial-onion-egyptian-walking_LRG.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.